Why is digital transformation strategy is important for governments?
While travelling around the world, One of the objective to me is how as a human we can use exploration skill to learn from each other and improve humanity as a whole. The observation of a people mindset or the digital tools the government has implemented to make things accessible or system they use it to improve the efficiency of the people.
Every country has its own museum and library of culture, archaeology, art, history, etc. All these museums mostly remind the past what our ancestors have achieved, how they were and also the methodologies. This information is the accessible reference which allows us an inspiration to create a new solution.
Especially the art of skill a human has learned or still learning in the current century is a fascinating thing. From the basic survival skill of fire to explore the world using spaceships, It doesn’t stop.
But if we look at the status of every country it’s not the same. Still some countries look as if they are from the 17th century without any basic facilities. Every innovation takes a significant time because it involves research, experimentation and finally implementation. So if we going to leave them like this, it’s going to take a lot of time to catch up with the world.
It doesn’t mean every country should reach a stage of spaceship but the basic accessibility and freedom of things would allow them to improve things faster.
What do I mean by Accessibility and freedom of things?
So when the one person figured out how to make the fire, the knowledge of this skill won’t be available until it accessible to other person or the community. If it’s not available, every person going to use same amount of time to acquire this knowledge which means a WASTE of TIME in terms of economy. If we every human resource of an organization or a country going to be wasted to figure out the same solution which has been already figured out.
Should we allow our people to be in that way? Not just individual but also from the government perspective why not take inspiration from other countries who have already figured out that?
Secondly, freedom: Until Wikipedia.org, does everyone can buy the Britannica Encyclopedia or similar books?
Britannica is a protected property meaning NO FREEDOM(FREE) for everyone, Wikipedia is a open information which means freedom to find information and acquiring knowledge whoever wants. So we need to make sure people have that freedom of accessing this as well.
So how we do build a digital ecosystem transformation strategy?
In an ecosystem, the whole system is built around people(or end user), their mindset and tools. A strategy is needed to make things smarter and sustainable.
The players in this whole government ecosystems are
- The National government
- Local government (States)
- A company whether its profit or non-profit
- An individual
In an E-commerce digital ecosystem: I believe and architected digital systems with 3 components
- INFORMATION(A) that accessible in different channels for customers to make decisions and thus allow them to make TRANSACTION(B).
- In their whole journey, we build LISTENING(C) systems to receive their ideas and suggestions to improve the process and tools collaboratively.
The type of activities happens between these parties are information sharing, monetary transaction and information receiver(listening).
In a government digital ecosystem:
A. Information(Knowledge Base) sharing involves but not limited to
- Economy information (The import/export or say consumption and production data)
- The human resource information (The demand and supply of talents and skills needed )
- Country Wealth Information (From raw material available to industry data)
- Security and disaster management information (weather, cybersecurity, local police security)
- Other data (Transport, Navigation, communication, tourism)
B. Monetary Transaction involves but not limited to
- Tax paying (Road, home, asset, business, etc)
- Utility bills (electricity, water, gas, public cleaning services)
- Telecommunication bills
- Payment of other financial services.
- Registration, Closing of services, individual and business.
C. Listening Systems involves but not limited to
- Digital products to receive complaints and emergency news
- Online ideas suggestion about every government activity
- Listening system about Legal and Laws
Some of the smartest nations in the world have implemented some or all these systems. Can you imagine? Yes. I will do a round up of every country soon, be in the connection to receive more updates on the countries which have implemented these strategies.
This article is from the series of “Building a digital ecosystem for a smarter nation and it’s economy by JK Baseer”.
JK Baseer is a social entrepreneur/digital consultant who has worked with multiple organisations and social enterprises to empower their organisation using digital technologies and thus improving the productivity of human resource in the long term. He is currently focused on building an ecosystem which allows people to discuss and take action to solve United Nation Sustainable goals. Follow him on LinkedIn for related updates.