Marketing Datewarehouse – Complete guide – why do we need – how to achieve
Building a Marketing Technology Stack from scratch to strengthen your marketing team.
Post Status: Still in Writing
1. Why did you need to have a vision for your Marketing Technology Stack? (Speak about the implication if you don’t have)
2. The list of factors need to consider when architecting Marketing Stack
- An example case for a startup
- An example case for a big enterprise
Why did you need to have a vision for your Marketing Technology Stack?
A Non Visible Problem: Efficiency on Time and Resource
Life wasn’t that much easy for marketers before 10 years as it is now:) There weren’t lot of marketing technologies (MarTech) and Advertising technologies (AdTech) tools available to make their job easier. Especially data driven Marketing channels are lucky that they enjoy the most part of this automation innovation 🙂
- In Social Advertising, One of the simplest example that helped marketers to scale the campaigns IS testing different variations & bulk ads creation, tools like Nanigans or Smartly made easy the creation of 1000s plus creative variation in few minutes.
- Imagine before the couple of years, we used to sit on late night or waking up earlier to make sure, we pause/resume the non performing campaign or launching a new campaign. Now the advanced AdTech tools made our Job easier our to setup the end TARGET GOAL (any CPA) and then the system AUTOMATICALLY pause/resume/scale the best creatives based on the TARGET GOAL among the 1000 plus ads we created before.
“For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction” 😀
So when things are simple, it’s easy to manage and control, but when you have multiple system, It comes with complexities on the initial stage if you don’t architect well.
- In analytics, The most famous issues analyst face in the first stage of every tools they use is discrepancies of data between different tools. For example, the way Google Analytics attribute the source traffic of purchase transaction is different from your CRM backend system or even another analytics tool. (Attribution: First Click, Last Click, View through, etc)
- Or a simplest example is date(or currency) difference between tools because of the default time zone you setup on the initial stage.
All this tools act accordingly based on how we setup them, so we are the one who responsible for it!
In This sharing article, going to share about the things we need to consider the marketing technology stack(or say framework)
An Unexpected Problem: : Cost Savings and Simplicity (when people overuse it)
In terms of cost savings, most of the tools now a days try to provide multiple features which in some cases overlaps what we have already with other tools and this is not easily avoidable as there are some unique features available in that tool. In straightforward look, it may not be a big problem but once we are in the stage of too many tools with us, we start to think ? which tools we should be using for what. This is all creates unnecessary confusions in people mind.
Just think why Steve Jobs wear the same dress every day and his designs are simple to the core. People become over using everything, then they forget about what’s the initial objective we planned for.
Example: In a typical E-Commerce, Marketers use Analytics like Google analytics for website dominantly, and use analytics like Localytics or amplitude for mobile Apps even though Google analytics has basic mobile analytics option as well. Yes people need mobile messaging option which Google Analytics doesn’t have. And people use tool Like Appsflyer to do mobile app attribution whereas Localytics still can provide the basic attribution (or say tracking link creation) but yes not to the level of Appsflyer. And there are complexity keep on going. Not easy to understand on the initial stage.
But knowing upfront about all of these overlaps and integration issues between different tools, can allow us to save our cost and make our job easier. So let’s see in depth what are the factors we need to consider…
The List of Factors need to consider when architecting Marketing Technology Stack
- What’s your base CRM environment?
- Integration with your analytics tools
- Integration with you paid advertisement management tools
- Integration with your Tag Management Solutions
- Integration with your Personalization systems
- Integration with your Marketing communication systems (Email, Push Messaging, InApp)
- Whether your stack has a budget?
- Whether you are looking for a basic features or cutting edge features which is not used by 80% of the companies currently
- Whether your stack is Google or NonGoogle?
- Implementation of those tracking